Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Busy Summer...A New Role

Sometimes things get so busy. Nicki is smack in the middle of her internship in Little Rock so I am Mr. Mom this summer. Since I only work Friday-Sunday, I am at home throughout the week and it has created a strange role reversal. Meanwhile, I am enrolled in summer classes at Harding and I am busy myself with studying. Things have died down a bit as of late but it is still kind of hectic.

I wouldn't have it any other way though...

Nicki and I agreed a long time ago that, while we acknowledge the traditional roles of husband and wife, we have to be willing to pick up the slack for each other when it comes to the family running smoothly. So for now I am the homemaker, and she is the breadwinner (in part at least).

I don't really feel feminized though. I feel more masculine because I am, in some ways, providing for my family by staying home this summer. I feel a man's role in his family is leadership. Earning income, paying the bills, setting the example, etc. are all ways this has traditionally been done. I still do almost all of that anyway, but doing laundry, washing dishes and changing diapers is a way to keep this family on track toward meeting our goals. I define that as leadership. I love that Nicki and I have that understanding without fear of resentment.

It has been tough feeling out this new world we've been a part of for the last year. But as busy as we are, as stressed as we get, it is all worth it in the end.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Me!

background