Thursday, July 8, 2010

Show Us Your Life- What You Make


I am so excited to finally take part in the 'show us your life' section of the Kelly's Korner blog!

I make homemade baby food!!

Thomas has enjoyed Avocado, Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Green Beans, Carrots, Corn and Eggplant.

Plus Apples, Pears, Bananas, Peaches, and Apricots.

I mixed up some dried cranberries for the green beans.

I also have made kiwi for him but he hasn't tried that yet!

I am in love with making his baby food for so many different reasons.

On a purely superficial level it's because they are usually just such beautiful mixes! It is really a wonderful experience to make- I find myself wrapped up in each fruit or veggie's unique qualities. It's amazing to experience the different tastes and colors in their purest forms. I usually research each fruit and veggie for their nutrition and best ways to cook. It is just so neat to look at this range of food that God has provided for us and realize how many vitamins and minerals we would get if we just ate our fruits and vegetables! I feel like I have taken these things for granted.

Another reason I love making Thomas' baby food is because I know exactly what he is eating. When I was in Franklin I picked up some baby food. I chose only the kind that had the particular veggies or fruit mixed with water. When he was eating the bananas I had to stop and think. Why don't the baby food bananas turn brown like regular bananas? It just kind of freaks me out to know that there is some chemical or process done to keep that from happening. Plus, the colors of baby food I get when I puree are not the same as what come in the baby food containers since they add food dyes to the containers so that they look more appealing! Did you know that a lot of people are actually allergic to red food dyes?! Yikes!

People made fun of me because I was such a stickler against sugar for Anna-Kate. Even though I struggle with my addiction to sweet things. That was my reason though. I did not want to pass my unhealthy habits off to my child. Making her eat more nutritious made Derek and I eat that way as well. I've grown worse with Thomas. This newfound passion of mine has made me the meanie who gave him a peach/ apricot mixture that, as Derek put it, was obviously sugar-free. Derek and I are used to sugar in our everyday diet so of course the apricot came off with a bitter taste. Thomas, didn't think anything of it and ate 5 ounces of the stuff for lunch! I am proud to know that he has not turned down anything so far!

Making baby food is actually fairly simple. It takes a certain amount of planning and preparation but it's worth it to me. I enjoy cooking and I enjoy preparing combinations and foods for Thomas to try.

I am really excited to say that I am teaming up with a friend of mine and we are going to start selling our homemade baby food. We are in the process of getting our blog up and running but I look forward to sharing more details about that soon!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Me!

background