Monday, February 7, 2011

Week 5 Menu!

I'm so excited about this week's menu that I decided to skip my weekend post and go straight into this. We had a pretty boring, lazy weekend- minus the cooking and super bowl (I'll post pics from that soon).

This week I wanted to do some different dishes. I really wanted to stray away from too many casseroles. I love them but I'm worried about being burnt out! I also tried to incorporate a good variety.

The problem I ran into was that these dishes were a little bit harder to prepare. We spent an extra hour or so on these and I still had to do one dish the next day. We were both pretty worn out from it, so I will have to keep that in mind next time. I'm learning as I go. :)

Okay, so here's the awesome menu! (You can click on the meal for the recipes, if there's not a recipe I will try to post one soon!) I also threw in a few pictures just to entice you! ha!

Photo Courtesy of Taste of Home 
Corn Chowder with Dumplings (I substituted the chipotle pepper with seasonings)

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie (the link takes you to turkey pot pie, same thing)

Chicken Alfredo Pizza (feeling little brave...)

Photo courtesy of Betty Crocker .com

Breakfast Casserole (I love breakfast for dinner!!)

Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo (My own recipe with homemade Alfredo sauce)

Comfort Meatballs (I adapted this recipe... I might post it later!)

We made the pie and pizza crusts and froze them. I know it will be a little bit of work, but we can just roll those out and use them when we need them. We are going to try an alfredo pizza! I've never made one before so it's going to just be something we come up with as we go.

I will also have to make the chicken fettuccine alfredo the day of but I went ahead and cooked the chicken and then froze it. I'm debating adding seasoning just to the chicken after I thaw it. It's going to be coated with the alfredo sauce so it's not going to seem dry or anything. By the way- that alfredo sauce is super easy! I will share that soon.

I doubled the breakfast casserole recipe and made about 4 smaller ones so we could pull those out for breakfast! I'm toying with adding breakfasts to our frozen menu later on so I'm trying to experiment with breakfasts we will actually eat!

I really enjoy cooking these meals. It's a good thing to do as a couple because you have to work together  and communicate and in our small kitchen it's crazy. I'm pretty sure therapists use this kind of thing for their marriage counseling exercises. ha!

I'm always looking for new recipes so I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!

4 comments:

The Knotty Boutique Co. said...

YUM!!!!!

I gave you an award!! Check it out!
http://theknottyboutiqueco.blogspot.com/2011/02/award-hot-dogs.html

Nicki said...

Thank you so much!! You're too sweet!

Mrs. Kee said...

Anything Pioneer Woman is amazing! I'd only made PW's Pot Pie once and my husband was already asking when we could have it again! Luckily I had some frozen and so we had some on snow day yesterday! Also a tip from my stepmom and Nanna to make it easier: use pre-made pie dough. I know it's not completely homemade then, but it does lighten the load! I hope your family loves it as much as mine does!

Nicki said...

Thanks! I love Pioneer Woman! I prefer making my own pie crusts because her recipe is so simple- but I do love the pre-made dough too! A friend of mine makes this in bulk and then freezes the filling and crust separately. She says to simplify the veggies she uses canned veggies. I might try the frozen ones just because when you double the recipe it takes forever to chop everything!

I'm glad you're blogging! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Me!

background